For students with accompanying families all enquiries must be made to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). AusAID students should see the AusAID Liaison Officer at their institution to commence arrangements for family entry.

Babies – Having One!

If you think that you may be pregnant, it is wise to seek medical care as soon as possible.  This is necessary, to be sure that you keep well during your pregnancy and to be certain that you are booked into a hospital in plenty of time before the baby’s birth.

King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women in Subiaco is the largest maternity hospital in Perth and provides care at both public and private ward rates.  Outpatient ante-natal (preparation for birth and care of your baby) clinics are held at the hospital in Bagot Road, Subiaco, and also at Fremantle Hospital.  Tours of delivery rooms, post-natal wards and nursery facilities are conducted weekly.  (Ante-natal means before the birth, post-natal means after the birth.)

Children are permitted to visit their mothers while they are in hospital having the baby and the hospitals encourage husbands to visit their wives as often as they are able to.  In Australia husbands are encouraged to remain with their wives during the birth of their baby.  You may discuss any questions you have or things you are not sure about with your doctor.  Also available is a home-visiting service by trained nurses for new mothers who would like some advice and assistance for the first week or so after leaving hospital.  Ask for details at the hospital.

When you enter hospital to give birth to your baby, the hospital will provide you with all your meals and drinks.  Your family is not responsible to bring in your meals as is the case with some countries. There are other hospitals with maternity facilities established around the Perth area.  It would be wise to inquire about costs before deciding where to go.

Ngala Resource Centre understands that being a parent can sometimes be hard and that babies do get sick and parents are often unsure whether to go to the doctor.  A phone call to one of the nursing staff can often give helpful information to parents supporting families with new babies and young children.             


Immunisation and Vaccination

Immunization is important to protect your child against the diseases Diphtheria, Tetanus, Whooping Cough, Poliomyelitis and Measles.

Information about  immunization clinics, can be obtained from your local doctors surgery, your local Child Health Centre; or from your City or Shire Council Health Department.  The immunization program in this State usually begins when the child is two months old.

Child Care Centres and Play Groups


Playgroups are for groups of parents, caregivers and their young children from birth to 5 years of age who meet regularly (usually 2 hours per week) to play and learn together.  The playgroups meet at various locations e.g. community halls, church halls, club rooms etc.

Playgroup WA (Inc) services and supports existing playgroups and promotes the formation and development of new playgroups in WA. Services include monthly publications, informative workshops, resources, telephone support, member discounts and special events.Playgroups are for everyone and Playgroup WA (Inc) is committed to assisting and supporting families with additional needs or those families who come from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, to access playgroups or establish their own groups.

Child Daycare Centres

There are child minding centres, where you can leave your child with trained people for up to 10 hours per day, located at some education campuses (campus centres are very hard to get into, you may have to go on a waiting list) and in most suburbs. The fees charged vary for different centres.