CISWA 30th Annual Conference & 60th Anniversary Event
“Careers and Employability – Building a Pipeline of Global Talent”
Friday 17 November 2023|Boola Katitjin Building, Murdoch University.
The CISWA Annual Conference is unique. No other conference in Western Australia provides such an in-depth, state level focus on international education. That is why the conference is a ‘must attend’ for WA professionals working within the international education sector.
This year was special. We hosted the 30th Annual Conference and also celebrated CISWA’s 60th Anniversary at the beautiful new Boola Katitjin building at Murdoch University.
We assembled an exciting program for 2023, including a number of speakers who covered:
- Strategic Directions for the sector
- Key issues facing the sector
- Building Careers and Employability
Opening the conference was the Hon David Templeman MLA, Minister for Culture and the Arts; Sport and Recreation; International Education; Heritage. David is the inaugural Minister for International Education and values the cultural richness and diversity international students bring to Western Australia. He sees education as a powerful tool to place in the hands of young people, as education benefits not only the individual, but also their community and nation. International education is a key sector for the Cook Labor Government and David is proud to be the first Minister for the International Education portfolio.
This year’s exciting keynote speaker was Gihan Perera presenting “Fit for The Future- Thriving, Not Just Surviving, in a Fast-Changing World”
Gihan Perera is a business futurist, conference speaker, AI researcher, and author who shows you how to be fit for the future in a fast-changing world. For more than 25 years, he has worked with organisations and leaders throughout Australia, as well as in New Zealand, South Africa, the United Kingdom, Europe, Asia, and North America – helping them to lead in uncertainty, act with clarity and confidence, and thrive in a fast-changing world.
Forbes magazine rated him the #5 social media influencer in the world (and #1 in Australia) in his area of expertise.
“Engaging, funny and witty, with an insightful global view of business” – Procurement Australia
More information about Gihan is here: Gihan Perera – Futurist, Conference Speaker, Author, AI Researcher on Vimeo
The Conference garnered a lot of positive feedback as one of the best we’ve done. CISWA is committed to support you in your role and we look forward to meeting you at CISWA 21st Annual Conference in 2024!
Our amazing presenters included:
- Hon David Templeman, Minister for International Education
- Gihan Perera, Futurist and Keynote Speaker
- Dr Alex King – Executive Director of Strategic Policy at Dept Jobs, Tourism, Science & Innovation.
- Heather Kettle, Student Experience and Mobility I International Policy Branch, International Division, Australian Government Department of Education.
- Sarah Frankel, Practice Lead, Estrin Saul & WA President Migration Institute of Australia
- Derryn Belford, CEO Study Perth
- Suzie Turner, Associate Director -URBIS
- Carey Trundle – Director Community Engagement, Fair Work Ombudsman
- Dr Linda Hui Yang, Managing Director, Intercultural Development Institute (ICDI)
CISWA’s 60th Anniversary Celebration
After our conference, we celebrated CISWA’s 60th Anniversary! This is a major milestone for our organisation and all those who have supported CISWA over the years and we enjoyed viewing some historical documents, hearing some stories presented by Simon Davies-Burrows and tasting some of the wonderful canapes and drinks provided.