Department of Education Services

The Department of Education Services (DES) provides services to the education and training sectors of Western Australia. These services cover approximately 900 education and training providers based in the state, spanning the following sectors: school education, vocational education, higher education and international education.

International Student Conciliation Service


The Western Australian Government is committed to helping to ensure that you have the best possible experience studying here in Western Australia.The Department of Education Services (DES) provides an International Student Conciliation Service which is FREE for all international students studying in Western Australia.

As an international student, problems or concerns may sometimes arise with your education provider that you find difficult to resolve on your own. We are here to help you work with your institution to try and find a suitable solution.

International Education Conciliator

Please note that you must make an appointment before coming into the office. Before the conciliator will take any action on your behalf, please try to resolve your situation with a staff member from your institution first. This service is provided FREE of charge by the Government of Western Australia.

Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations

Australian Education International (AEI)

Australian Education International (AEI) provides leadership across all levels of government and industry to support the sustainable development of a world-class and globally connected international education and training system in Australia.

AEI manages Study in Australia, the official Australian Government website for advice to prospective international students about studying in Australia. The site offers impartial and reliable information about courses, institutions, study and living costs, application processes, visa requirements, scholarships and more.

Information is available in more than 20 languages at

The Australian Government takes very seriously its reputation as a high-quality, safe study destination for international students. AEI administers the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act, and related legislation, and the National Code of Practice for Registration Authorities and Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students (the National Code), which regulates the provision of education and training services to international students.

More information on the ESOS Act and associated legislation, can be found at


Austrade coordinates events and exhibitions around the world to support the student recruitment and international business objectives of Australian education and training providers.

Australian education centres are managed by education and training counsellors to provide information to potential international students about studying and living in Australia. The centres and offices (mostly located in Australian diplomatic missions) are bases for promotional and support activities aimed at enhancing the image of Australia as an education and training destination for international students.

International Scholarships-Endeavour Awards

The Endeavour Awards is the Australian Government’s internationally competitive, merit-based scholarship program providing opportunities for citizens of the Asia-Pacific, Middle East, Europe and Americas to undertake study, research and professional development in Australia. Awards are also available for Australians to undertake study, research and professional development abroad.

Department of Immigration & Border Protection (DIBP)

DIBP is responsible for granting student visas and monitors compliance with the visa conditions governing the stay of international students.

Once you have applied for admission to an Australian educational institution and have been advised of your acceptance in a letter of offer, the institution or its agents will tell you the necessary next steps to take to come to Australia.

DIBP Student Orientation Presentation 2012

Australian Taxation Office (ATO)

Do you have to pay tax in Australia?

Generally, Australian income tax legislation requires residents to pay tax on income derived from both inside and outside Australia, while non-residents pay tax on income derived in Australia only. Non-residents pay a higher rate of tax with no tax-free threshold, and are not eligible for various rebates and benefits that residents are entitled to.

Why do we pay taxes?

Tax is money that people and businesses pay the government.  The Tax Office collects income tax and other Commonwealth taxes.  Taxes that are paid to the Commonwealth Government are used to provide services to the community such as health, education, defense, roads and railways, social security and welfare.

Are you a resident for taxation purposes?

As an international student, you are generally treated as a resident for taxation purposes if you are engaged in a full time course of study extending beyond 6 months.

If you need help working out whether or not you are an Australian resident for taxation purposes, go to the Tax Office website and enter ‘resident tool’ into the search engine, this tool will help you find out if you are an Australian resident for tax purposes.  There is also reliable information about taxation issues, a range of calculators and other online tools.

What income will you have to pay tax on?

You will have to pay tax on any income received from taking up a job and other sources including savings accounts and investments while you are in Australia. Sponsorship or Scholarships may also be taxable.  Allowance and pocket money received from parents and relatives are not income, and therefore are NOT taxable.

Do you need a Tax File Number (TFN)?

Generally, if you intend to earn money in Australia, regardless of your age, you will be required to have a TFN. A TFN is a unique number issued by the Tax Office to individuals and organizations for identification and record keeping purposes

How to apply for a TFN

International students with a 6 month visa can apply for a TFN online anytime.

Department of Commerce

The Department of Commerce is a government office which provides advice to protect and assist you as a shopper and worker in Western Australia. If you need information or help on:

  • Buying goods and services, renting a place, buying and repairing a car or if you feel you may have been unfairly treated by a landlord or shop-keeper please call Consumer Protection on 1300 30 40 54.
  • Work conditions, working hours, leave and pay rates please call Labour Relations on 1300 655 266.
  • Safe and healthy workplaces, hazards, reporting a workplace accident please call Work Safe on 1300 307 877.